Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Chris Martin

Upon reading Chris Martin’s poems from his book American Music, I immediately noticed the structure and format. In each poem, Martin uses three-line stanzas consisting of abrupt lines not following any apparent meter. I find that while this structure is visually interesting to look at, it is often somewhat uncomfortable when reading because the enjambment is so unnatural. I assume that there is some significance to this seemingly formless structure because Martin uses it in each poem.
            I admire Chris’ commitment to his own style, because it is not only unique, but it complements the direct and descriptive subject matter of his poetry. In each poem I read I found myself getting lost in the world he was creating, despite the unconventional delivery and connections drawn. In his poem “True Meaning of Pictures”, Martin uses vivid examples that don’t clearly connect in any way, but somehow he formed a coherent poem that easily draws in the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.