The title of online literary
publication The Bad Version caught my
attention as I was admittedly scrolling mindlessly through pages of blogs and
magazines. The simplicity of the title perfectly walked the line between
boringly blunt to pretentiously complicated. The Bad Version’s aim is to spark conversation and criticism over
poetry other creative writing. This publication welcomes experimentation and
risk, which leads to unique material without the fear of seeming “bad”.
Due to the structure of The Bad Version, the poetry feels fresh
and raw; qualities that I feel are often undervalued. Despite the varying
lengths of each poem, the language and imagery used by the contributors to this
publication successfully convey the complex emotions in each poem without ever
feeling played-out and unoriginal. In the poem “Dissertation: Aphasia”, author Sarah
Matthes candidly recounts a coffee shop interaction with an old peer. Her use
of second person to describe what I assume was a personal experience of hers, immediately
drew me as the reader into the scene the speaker’s created. While the progression
from a single moment to a meaningful description of events may seem cliché, Matthes’
fresh writing style takes the poem from cliché to innovative. The speaker’s
response to the unsettling scenario of encountering a man from her past evokes
feelings of nostalgia and self pride. Mattes addresses the familiar concept
that teenagers make important decisions without giving much consideration to
the consequences, but she does so in a way that doesn't feel offensive in lines
like,
You
would take it
if you were fifteen and stoned,
and maybe later you would have tried
to unzip his jeans in the car,
if you were fifteen and stoned,
and maybe later you would have tried
to unzip his jeans in the car,
While I enjoyed the overall tone and content of this poem,
in its entirety this poem felt somewhat disconnected and unfinished. At first
this irritated me, but then I recalled that this journal is made for the disconnected
and unfinished. Individual lines that may seem a bit out of place actually brought
a new meaning to the poetry that may not have existed otherwise. In the line “Like the first dull inspiration of color, how
green eyes are only ever the green they allow you to see”, the speaker takes
a creative spin on the concept of self presentation that strengthens the overarching
theme of personal growth.
The design of the website, much like the poetry itself, is
wonderfully simple and bold a t the same time. The color scheme of red, white
and black catches the eye while still allowing the poetry to be the main focus
of each page. The format of the pages plays an integral part in the mission of The Bad Version. Each page has a
response section in which readers ranging from Yale literature students to
anonymous contributors are capable of providing their take on the presented
material. I found it amazing that this journal serves as a platform in which
poets can share their work, and receive helpful feedback online, much like a
peer or writing group could do in real life.
Yes! I was only disappointed that the journal seems to have stopped in 2012. I liked not only the poems and layout, but also the commentary alongside.
ReplyDeleteClaire- I'm looking for your poetry reading visit and don't see anything.
ReplyDelete