Sunday, October 20, 2013

Kilimanjaro

“how did I get here?”  
a simple enough question
one would think

the easy answer is that I got here on a plane
well three planes I suppose
if we’re being technical about it

but I don’t just mean how did I get here
I mean how did I get here
what crazy life path did I go down

to be throwing up my porridge
behind a boulder
atop an African mountain

“uh, are you okay?”
another simple question
with a complicated answer

“I’m fine” I gasp
but I think we all know that’s not the case
it’s been 3 days since ive eaten without you know…

I lift my head to see
the concerned eyes of my guide
he had come to make sure I wasn’t dying

I can’t help but laugh
at the thought
of what he is looking at right now

unwashed braided pig-tails
rainbow woolen socks tucked into boots
sunburnt face and cracked lips

hunched over in pain
and now in laughter
which really just adds to the absurdity of it all

his concern slowly melts away
and he looks me with an awkward smile
clearly trying not to laugh at the puking mzungu

I burst in to tears of joy and exhaustion
I may not know how I got here
but I’m sure as hell glad I did

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.