The term ‘prose’ has always been a
bit unclear to me. I have always thought that if prose is just unmetered
language without rhyme, what makes it poetry. In Louis Jenkins work, I am taken
by his use ‘normal’ language in such a condensed and meaningful way. The
simplicity of Jenkins work at first seemed a tad unrefined, and his
conversational tone seemed just that- conversational; but throughout each of his
brief poems, Jenkins develops a distinctively creative narrative that is
complimented by his simplistic style.
In his poems “Change” and “The
Afterlife”, Jenkins addresses the broad concepts of life and death in a way
that is accessible and unexpected way. The simple first lines easily draw the
reader in by describing relatable things circumstances, such as “moon boots”
and movies. He then gradually shifts the content tangible to metaphorical changes,
complimented by his casual language. “Change”
eloquently describes that while change may seem to be the only constant in
life, a person remains fundamentally the same. Jenkins use of second person to
address the reader directly reinforces the connection between speaker and auditor
established throughout his poetry. The final line, “but essentially you are the
same as ever, constant in your instability,” brings a whole new level of depth
to the poem, that shines upon re-reading.
In “The Afterlife” Jenkins takes a
refreshing view on the concept of death, and the way we as humans look at it. The
concept of “life as if it were a movie” brings an interesting new perspective
to a common topic of conversation. I interpret the content of this dialogue as
an acknowledgement of differences between sexes that I have never seen
addressed in this way. The line “‘Violence anyway,’ he says” alludes to the
common perception of male sexuality. This line coupled with “She says, ‘I was
never happy with the way I looked,’” outline the contrast between men and women’s
roles in society.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.